Christmas Advent Jar

Edit Artikel

I did this project two years ago, and I recently had an e-mail asking where the post went. Yeah. Good question. Since changing over my domain, I seem to have lost dozens of posts. They’re out there somewhere, but I figured it might be a good idea to refresh it.

advent calendar jar

This advent idea was made out of mini matchboxes. I bought a pack of them at the grocery store, painted the insert part white, and wrapped the outside with scrapbook paper. The outside is labeled with the countdown day, and it’s complete.

scrapbook advent   matchbox advent

I try to remain really conscious of not letting the “I want that!” mentality overwhelm the spirit of Christmas at JaG’s house, so I tried to come up with advent ideas that were mostly about spending time together. Plus, they’re pretty much free. Santa’s on a budget this time of year.

altered matchboxes 

Matchbox advent calendar

There is such an extensive list of things you could add to this list, but these are the ones we’ll be using this year. I added a couple of notes to some since we’ve been doing this a couple of years.

  1. Play a board game together
  2. Build a fort and have dinner in it (the kids’ favorite)
  3. Cut out paper snowflakes
  4. Pick out a toy for Toys for Tots
  5. Make popcorn and watch a Christmas movie
  6. Find a special treat
  7. Special treat: Hot cocoa and marshmallows
  8. Make a Christmas craft (check the internet—tons of ideas out there)
  9. Breakfast for dinner
  10. Find a special present and open it (always dollar store items)
  11. Make a card for someone and mail it
  12. Go to dollar store and shop for family (again—kids LOVE)
  13. Go out to a movie
  14. Decorate a gingerbread house
  15. Kids make dinner for Mom and Dad
  16. Go see Santa Claus
  17. Make a pinecone bird feeder
  18. Make a Christmas craft
  19. Find a special present and open it
  20. Go bowling
  21. Bake Christmas cookies
  22. Go downtown and look at lights
  23. Popcorn and movie night
Matchbox Advent

So what about you? Do you have any ideas that you use with your family? I’m always curious for new ideas. Anything I’m missing?

Previous
Next Post »
Show comments
Hide comments